Safety Apps: Directions, LiveSafe & Emergency Notifications
Most buildings on campus have the primary address of 521 Lancaster Avenue, which is the campus administration building. To obtain an electronic campus map as well as directions to campus locations, download and utilize the LifeSafe app as suggested below. EKU also offers an emergency notification system that alerts community members of situations that could impact the safety of the public such as weather or traffic alerts. Please read the information below and utilize the system for the benefit of your event participants.
LiveSafe is a mobile-safety technology that allows Eastern Kentucky University to connect to their community on safety- and security-related issues via discreet and effective two-way communication.
• Share information − Submit reports to EKU Police for suspicious activity, a mental health issue, or potential violence with picture, video, or audio attachments.
• Get home safely with GoSafe − You can invite others to “virtually escort” and monitor your location on a real-time map. You can also request a safety escort.
• Summon emergency help − Safety officials can leverage location-data in an emergency situation, allowing faster response times.
• Get directions to what’s around you − Find safety places, campus building, and other places.
Get the App
Emergency Notification Systems
Eastern Kentucky University has implemented a multi-modal emergency notification system to inform the community about incidents and emergencies affecting campus. Realizing that message redundancy is a necessity, Eastern Kentucky University has seven primary notification systems available for the community. Any one, or a combination, of the alert methods listed below may be used depending on the nature and severity of the event. New technologies and other Emergency Notification Systems are periodically explored and evaluated. This section is subject to change as technology changes.
• Siren/Public Address System - Audible sirens and announcements can be broadcast over four loudspeakers strategically placed on campus. This system can be activated by the EKU Division of Public Safety as well as the Madison County Emergency Management Agency for weather and community emergency notifications.
• Text Messaging - An opt-in notification where a text message can be received on your mobile phone. EKU does not charge for this service; however, your carrier may have standard text messaging charges.
• Voice Messaging - An opt-in notification where a voice message can be received on your mobile or home phone.
• Email Messaging: You can opt-in to receive emails on other email accounts. Community members are encouraged to check their email, frequently throughout the day, to be sure they see any message sent by this alert method.
• RSS Feeds: A message can be posted on the Emergency Management, Police Department, or University web pages.
• Social Media: Follow @EKUEmergency on Twitter and LIKE EKU Emergency Management on Facebook.
• Go to the Rave Site Look-up and search for Eastern Kentucky University (http://www.getrave.com/login/eku).
• Click the Register Button in the upper right hand corner.
• Register your information and select to receive text, voice, and/or email messaging.